Saturday, June 8, 2013

Urge Day


Urge Day. It’s an elusive date…one that Katherine* and I created years ago as we bonded over our same irrational/inappropriate desires. You know the ones. Those urges that pop into your head that if you carried them out things would get dicey for your social life. Things like standing up on a table in a restaurant and singing at the top of your lungs, squirting ketchup at someone, shoving a friend/stranger off the sidewalk…the list goes on and on. The movie “The Purge” is a rip off. Of me. And Kat. Urge Day was founded/discovered/birthed YEARS ago.

Except we forgot what day it is.

I’m sure by now you’ve caught on…on Urge Day you get to do everything you want. That pesky conscience is silenced. [I should say here that I will NOT be seeing “The Purge” (Seriously…they even used the word “urge” in their title…come on). Mostly because they stole our idea…but a little because it sounds terrifying.]

I’m maybe more of a chicken/a little more responsible than this post is letting on. I spent A LOT of time thinking in terms of risk management and safety for large groups of impetuous freshmen/sophomores/grown-ups…and now, as a result, in every situation I see 15 potential ramifications to the action I am about to take. Shoving someone off a sidewalk can get you sued.  

Some people come into your life and change you for the better, simply by their existence. Kat is one of those people. My favorite life lesson that Kat’s existence has taught me thus far is wrapped up in urges. She refuses to do things out of obligation or guilt. She just really and truly doesn’t care what people think. She is trying to bring back scrunchies (which I’m against on principle, but we’ve remained friends despite this). I want to be more like Katherine. Over the years I have drifted more and more in this direction.

I require a fair amount of down time. I love reading. I really enjoy cooking. Writing is a thing in my life. Yet sometimes I feel the pressure to go out and be with large groups at every opportunity because I might miss out on something, when in actuality sitting at home sounds really nice.

Life is about balance. We can’t act on every urge but we can pick the ones that are important to us…and it doesn’t have to be the same urge every time. We can choose the ones that help keep us sane for that moment. We can be honest and realize that trying to do everything doesn’t bring fulfillment. Sometimes we need the quiet solitude; or time with one good friend to reconnect with who we actually are and face areas where we might need to grow.

Last night I spent time with a lot of the people I love here in Waco, and it was perfect…and tonight when offered another night out…I chose to clean the house, hang out with the Roomz, cook dinner, watch Downton Abbey, and write this blog. There was a point tonight when Mumford was blaring through the kitchen and I thought about how happy I was about following this evening’s urge and how glad I was to be in that moment.

Happy Saturday. Happy Urge Day.
 
 
 

*This is Katherine. Or Kat. Or Kafs. Yes, those are socks on our hands. Friendship socks. Yes, we did recite a secret friendship chant the first time we put them on. Also, that’s me on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment