Monday, June 23, 2014

no power

Do you know what you can do in 2014 with no power? Your phone will probably die. You can’t make morning coffee. You put your makeup on in the dark. The meat in your freezer will begin to rot. You can’t dry your hair. Your alarm won’t work. No internet. So what can you do? Be a little more resourceful. Rely on friends who do have power. Get in your car and find somewhere with wifi. 

Inconveniencing? Sure. Another good reminder that I don’t really need or deserve these things? Absolutely.

I’m home from India. I’m sitting at Starbucks because our power went out last night and hasn’t come back on yet.

My friends and I sat in a fair number of coffee shops over the course of 5 weeks. We soaked up free wifi and fueled our caffeine addictions as we took breaks from the Indian heat. This moment doesn’t feel much different.

While last night and this morning was an inconvenience overall my perspective has changed. 

People want to hear about India, and I want to tell them. I want to tell you. But, how do you speak of 5 weeks of your life? How would you sum up your past 5 weeks? So as I look you in the eyes – if I have the privilege – I will share. I will tell you of meaningful moments and people that I love. I will tell you of the way a night in a train station strengthened my faith in God and humanity.

But, I can’t say it all in one sitting. So, I am also going to share here. A little at a time. As I process and piece together life before India, life in India, and life now. I won’t ever be able to say it all. But I want you to know as much as you want and as much as I can give.


Journey with me if you’d like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment